Have you hit a wall in life? Is your relationship on autopilot? Are you struggling to take that next step in your career?
Author, speaker, and Forbes Coach’s Council member Alexsys Thompson believes the secret to your success is simple – the practice of gratitude. Here’s why:
- Gratitude opens the door to fully experience every other human emotion. When you spend time giving thanks, you can give other powerful emotions – grief, joy, fear, excitement – their rightful place in your life.
- Gratitude is the fastest way to your heart center, the core of who you truly are.
- Gratitude is the entry point to grace, a revolutionary practice of any successful person.
Here’s how to harness the power of gratitude in your own life:
- Be Still
Learning to tune out world and the noise is paramount to your success. That’s because being still brings you back to you, which is often missing. And no wonder – we’re a culture that’s always doing and achieving, driven by awards, medals, and money. Instead, learn to be still and get to know who you truly are.
- Be Okay to Feel
Often our emotions take a back seat to the expectations of our culture. We’re told to ‘suck it up’ and ‘keep it together.’ But what you’re feeling can be helpful indicators as to whether you’re on the right path. Learn to be okay with your feelings and listen to what they’re telling you.
- Fine Tune Your Beliefs
Here’s a secret: not all of your beliefs are serving you well. In fact, some may be holding you back from success. Take time to examine your core beliefs. Let go of the ones that aren’t helping you anymore and hold onto the rest.
By being still, embracing your feelings, and solidifying your beliefs, your heart center – the core of who you truly are – can show up and guide you forward to a practice of gratitude.
The next step in your gratitude journey is to start practicing. Here are some tips to get started:
- Keep a journal. To begin, consider avoiding “I” statements and focus on things outside yourself: nature, animals, others. Next, focus on your body. Is your nose runny? Be grateful it works! Did your legs carry you on a run today? Give them the credit they deserve. Then move into more personal aspects of your life.
- Be consistent. Make a daily commitment to the practice.
- Look for patterns. If you’re regularly thankful for the mountains but you live in the city that may be your cue to relocate. If you’re increasingly grateful for time alone it may be time for a break in the relationship you’re hanging onto.
Discover the power of gratitude and you’ll be on the path to live and lead with grace and success.